Saturday, November 26, 2011

Are You Willing To Learn?

Recently I read an article about companies and head hunters being all upset and beside themselves because there was an overflowing amount of people looking for work, but 'no one qualified to do the job.' I thought, really, what ever happened to training, what ever happened to 'lets give 'em a shot', what happened to the days when employers would ask the question: Are you willing to learn?

I graduated in 1987, in 1988 I was working for Rite Aid Pharmacy as a cashier and wanted to make more money because I was getting my own apartment. I asked the pharmacist if I could work in the pharmacy as his technician. "Sure," he said. What are the qualifications? "Nothing, as long as your willing to learn." I was hired, I was trained, and I learned. I worked in that profession for three years.

In 1992 we moved to California and it was right in the middle of the recession. I needed a job and could not find one as hard as I tried for what I was qualified for. I saw an ad for 'bookkeeper'. Well, I took some bookkeeping classes in high school and I worked in a law office as a bike messenger through high school, helping out as well in their collections department filing, and mailing, clerical stuff. So, I thought, I can apply to this. They asked me if I had ever been a bookkeeper. I said no, but I had some basic skills, and "I was willing to learn." I was hired, and I was trained and I learned. I worked there for one year.

In 1994 we moved to PA and I once again needed a job. I saw an ad, 'CNA needed, will train'. I applied, I was hired, I was trained, I learned. I worked in that profession for three years.

Every job I have ever had has been one where my skills were limited and I was trained. Why the shift? Why do people already have to have 3 to 5 or 5 to 10 years experience? Why don't employers take the time to train. I understand some of the high-tech positions or engineering positions require that the person have knowledge of the subject, but what about the college grad that has the knowledge but not the experience? They are being told the same story. It just seems insane to me that there are millions of people out of work and companies are complaining about experience, or skills. People want to work, they are willing to learn, train them!

No comments:

Post a Comment